Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
09/16/19, 07:47 AM

Author Topic: What should be done?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline cdoucette

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 4
What should be done?
« on: 11/03/09, 09:42 AM »
OK this has been talked about many times since the spring race at Talladega when Edwards car took flight, but with this past weekends race having two cars lift off the ground and flip, as well as the Dover race with Logano lipping around.  Should NASCAR start to re-think the new car mainly for the Superspeedways or just in general?  Yes so far with the new Nationwide cars they look better but should they fix the problems with the Cup cars before allowing the Nationwide cars on the track? In case we see similar problems, not so much the cars flipping, but the close-pack racing which has led to some good races but a ton of boring ass ones at the same time.  Really I believe that they should go back to the older body-styles from either the 90's or early 2000's.  The racing was much more exciting on all tracks with those styles.  Just take the older bodies and add the newer safety equipment from the new car like they have done with Nationwide cars already. 

Curtis Doucette

Offline bryanriley55

• Mechanic
  • Coolness: -3
Re: What should be done?
« Reply #1 on: 11/03/09, 10:07 AM »
Cars have been flipping since they started racing. The very first race I ever saw on TV Ricky Rudd flipped nose of tail 7 or 8 times in the 84 Bud Shootout "I think". I have seen old bombers @ the local 1/4 mile flip too the cup series and everything in between. Its just part of it and always will be. It has nothing to do with the new car, they where flipping way before it ever came along. Superspeedways are a giving on the flips, but as far as Joey's flip at Dover is no different then Carl Long at Rockingham back 5 years are so, I remember Rusty Wallace flipping in practice at Bristol back in the early 90's 0r late 80's. There is nothing to do to stop the chance of it happening. I recall seeing aleast 4 cars over the years flip on the track by themselves. Cale Yarbough flip in qualifing @ Daytona, Michael McDowell went for one of the wildest rides @ Texas last year I think, in Qualifing. Parking them is the only solution to keep them from flipping. Honestly would you set and watch a race at Dega or Tona with the whole field spread out running single file? No you wouldn't. It is what it is, like Big Bill France Sr. said when drivers didn't want to run Talladega the first time they went there, " If you don't want to race, I know people that would be more than happy too. So drive it or park it, to many others out there that will drive if your to scared."

Offline cdoucette

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 4
« Reply #2 on: 11/03/09, 10:27 AM »
I knowing cars flipping in racing has always been there but didn't they make the COT to try and stop it from happening even though it's still happening.  I don't think the old cars had both the roof flaps and hood flaps, I think tey only had the roof ones, which helped the car from going airborn when turned around at Dega or Daytona. But what I was more or less getting at is since the inception of the COT the racing at all tracks has become pretty boring, the most eciting parts of the races now are the double-files restarts. I just find that with before COT the racing was more exciting and fun to watch, where as now the ecitement and fun is being sucked out of it as far as it seems.
Curtis Doucette

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 183
  • I'm All Jacked Up On Mountain Dew!
    • Roberts Web Design
« Reply #3 on: 11/03/09, 11:22 AM »
I personally don't think anything should be done with the cars... there's better racing today than there ever has been... what's missing today is the rivalries and personalities that we had 20, 30 or 40 years ago... that's what's missing to me.

The highlight of the Martinsville race was when Montoya and Gordon went at it for 3 laps... we used to see that lap after lap out of Petty and Pearson... Baker and Yarborough, Waltrip and Earnhardt... that's what is missing today.

As for bumper to bumper racing, side by side all the way through the field, it's closer today than ever. But the rivalries and 'everyone has to be a gentleman' rules are what's keeping the racing from being 'good' like you remember.
« Last Edit: 11/03/09, 11:25 AM by Robert Vining »
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline Steve Wright

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 10
« Reply #4 on: 11/03/09, 11:30 AM »
The bottom line is Nascar won't and will not listen to there drivers or owners.

Both have tried to address the problems of the new car but Nascar has deaf ears.  When ever you have a vehicle going 190 plus MPH and when the cars is spun out and is pointed backwards with the type of wing that is on the rear of these cars, there is not a roof flap made that is going to keep the car from taking flight and leaving the ground PERIOD!  Until Nascar starts listening to the drivers and owners its going to keep happening and just because they increased the catch fence height doesn't mean that a car can't get up into the Grandstands.  Hell the drivers have stated many times that the vision is not good in these cars and if you are behind one you can't see the drivers hand signals because of the wing.  Yes the cars are safe but so were the old ones.  There isn't one brand of car on the street today that can relate to what the new COT car looks like.

NASCAR NEEDS TO WAKE UP!!!

Offline markmartin5

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 0
  • My computer sucks.
« Reply #5 on: 11/03/09, 03:15 PM »
I think that the only thing wrong with the COT is the wing because drivers can't see and they lift up the car.
What do you call 10,000 Restrictor plates at the bottom of the ocean?
A Good Start.

You might be a NASCAR fan if you can remember every driver and their car number but can't remember how old your children are!

Offline DawsonvilleBill9

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 314
  • Just get 'er done!
« Reply #6 on: 11/03/09, 06:26 PM »
I think Robert's got something! There are no head to head, go at it encounters anymore! They start their engines get in line and go! And then we wait for the Chase and then we wait to find out which Hendrick car is gonna win the championship! Damn I remember Petty and Pearson and who can forget Cale Yarborough and Bobby & Donnie Allison?

Offline Chadley

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 26
    • Dakotagraph
« Reply #7 on: 11/03/09, 09:42 PM »
The COT wing probably contributes some to the flipping, but I think it's more the overall shape of the cars. In the mid-90s there was a rash of the slow liftoff kind of flips like Newman's this week. I remember Rusty, Ken Schrader, Davey Allison and several others having that kind of flip where as soon as the car turned around backwords all that downforce they have going frontwards reversed itself and lifted them off the ground. That's where the roof flaps came in and they really helped at first. There were several spins after that where you could see the rear end wanting to lift up and the roof flaps popped up and the car sat right back down on the ground.

Of course, these kind of wrecks were only at the high-speed tracks - Daytona, Talladega and some at Pocono.

Now there also are the kind of rollover wrecks that I don't think fall into the same category - like Lagano's this year, Michael McDowell's at Texas, even Mark Martin's on Sunday. They don't have as much to do with the aerodynamics as they do just getting hit at the wrong angle and it turns the car over. I don't think the COT, the wing, or even the general shape of the cars has much to do with that, it's more of just an accident like would happen on the highway.

quadmaster

« Reply #8 on: 11/04/09, 08:14 AM »
Hey guys ! Just my opinion but i don't think the wing-vision thing had any thing to do with what happpened in tally;you've all heard the expression ;history repeats itself and patients is the key to winning!! Well once again keselowski causes another wreck with some help.I think the new rules and regulations are what's ruining this sport.As for the flipping thing;someone already mentioned, they have been doing this since the beginning.Also they are costantly trying to slow these horses down.WHY!! ? don't take away the best part of this sport;let them race;that's what the fans want to see not a chariot race back in the Eygyption times! JMO thanks

keithmcmonagle

« Reply #9 on: 11/12/09, 06:37 PM »
dont change a thing!