Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
08/21/18, 10:43 AM

Author Topic: iRacing Anyone?  (Read 875 times)

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 178
  • I'm All Jacked Up On Mountain Dew!
    • Roberts Web Design
iRacing Anyone?
« on: 04/09/18, 12:07 PM »
Alright, I broke down after 10 years of not racing online and got a year of iRacing for $66. Of course they give you 17 cars and 17 tracks with that subscription... however it's a bunch of old cars not used in points series anymore, along with a handful of road course cars. The main series as a rookie is Street Stock Camaro and Advanced Legends, both on Dirt and Asphalt.

The kicker is... for tracks and car, its roughly $100 bucks worth of content to go to the D Series K & N cars. Next up will be Trucks and that will be more tracks and $$$.

Anyone else running these things lately?

Really considering how deep I want to get with these.

It's fun as hell... and at 49... I can still drive. :)

A quick note.. my TSW Evolution with upgrade to digital analog board and USB that works fine in NR2003 won't work on iRacing. So I had to dig out my backup logitech MoMo wheel..  Still got to D License and a 3.60 in Asphalt and Dirt in a week! :)
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline EPapineau

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 11
Re: iRacing Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/18, 01:59 PM »
Hi Robert,
Been running there since 2010 myself. It gets expensive I'm not going to lie but I have had fun with it over the past few years. Haven't quite grasped the Dirt stuff but Ive enjoyed most of the time. Main thing is racing clean to advance up the ladder.

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
    • Roberts Web Design
« Reply #2 on: 04/10/18, 02:48 PM »
Hey Eric, good to see you! Hope all is well with you and yours.

Yeah.. it sucks getting taken out running 3rd or 4th... or the lead for that matter. But it's addictive.

I'm running:

Street Stock R (but not for long when I get my C license)
Advanced Legends (learning basic setups)
Dirtcar 305 Sprints
iRacing National Series (K&N cars)

Have you run in any leagues successfully? Been looking at this league:

https://oldbastardsracing.com/

Anyway... good to see you still around.
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline EPapineau

• Crew Chief
« Reply #3 on: 04/10/18, 07:53 PM »
Haven't had consistent times to get on there the past few years but running A BC fixed,  Indy fixed, and dabbling in road and grc some. Leagues haven't been something I've done since they scanned Langley and sone off the local guys from there did a league a few years back.

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
    • Roberts Web Design
« Reply #4 on: 04/11/18, 10:45 PM »
I just checked your profile and added you as a friend on there. Hopefully I will see you in trucks one night soon.
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline Gary Hamel

• Carset Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 16
« Reply #5 on: 04/12/18, 06:38 AM »
Robert   Steve Wright and myself have been running over at Afterburner Motorsports for a long long time.  Great bunch of guys. Mostly older guys like myself.  We have a couple that are up around 75 that run every night.  Stop over and check us out.   http://www.afterburnermotorsports.com/

Gary

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
    • Roberts Web Design
« Reply #6 on: 04/12/18, 11:04 AM »
Thanks Gary, I always learn from the old guys... I'll check it out!  :)
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline EPapineau

• Crew Chief
« Reply #7 on: 04/13/18, 09:24 PM »
Sounds good, will get on there in the next couple days to accept.

Offline Chris Kynes

• Tire Changer
  • Coolness: 0
« Reply #8 on: 08/19/18, 04:53 PM »
I have been sim racing since the old Nascar Heat game and have been addicted ever since.  I upgraded to NR2002 when it can out and then NR2003.  I took a break when Paparus killed off the online races as I didnt belong to a clan and never really had anyone to race against.  When iRacing came out, I was all for it, but the paying for content irked me and hearing you get the basic hardware with the subscription and have to pay a lot more to get tracks and cars.  So, I have been racing against AI ever since but would love to get back into it.  My son who is almost 12 wants to take it up as well, but iRacing apparently has an age restriction as well, so that has bummed my kid out.  If I can get him racing online with NR2003 and get him comfortable with how sim racing works, he might be a pretty good wheelman.   He has been running finding tracks to run from various sites and really like running Late Models

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
    • Roberts Web Design
« Reply #9 on: 08/19/18, 06:30 PM »
Hey Chris, welcome to the forum.

I found a great league for guys 35 and over at Old Bastards Racing League, https://obrl.net

As for your son and iracing, they just started the Nascar ignite series for 13 to 16 year olds. It uses the legends car and short tracks, so the cost is low.

I can say without a doubt, iRacing has come a long way in 10 years with how well the different cars drive, etc...  but at it's core, it's still nr2003 netcode that's being used.

So if money is the issue, keep him on nr2003 for a while, but think about the ignite series, and it's $60 for the first year when they run the special before Christmas.
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design