Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
08/21/19, 11:09 AM

Author Topic: Editing pit boxes?  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Brian Peters

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 11
Editing pit boxes?
« on: 08/13/12, 01:52 AM »
Last season I ran Illiana99 and during the race the 10th place qualifier was never able to get service in his pit stall and had to retire when he ran out of fuel.

The track was awesome to race on, we had 2-wide racing somewhere on the track pretty much the whole race and we would love to use it again but I do not know how to fix the problem.

Last year we had a guy that knew how to do some track editing and we had the same problem with the first pit box at Baer Field and the guy was able to do something in the track.ini I believe that stopped the sim from using that box, the 2nd pit box then became the 1st one.

Does anyone know of a simple edit to a track.ini to "disable" a pit box so we can use the Illiana99 track again?

I sure appreciate any help, thank you.

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 182
  • I'm All Jacked Up On Mountain Dew!
    • Roberts Web Design
Re: Editing pit boxes?
« Reply #1 on: 08/13/12, 09:03 PM »
I haven't cracked open a track in forever, but I do believe the pit boxes are done in the INI and they are coordinates if I'm not mistaken.

You're pretty savvy, so I would think your sheer desire to get this done will guide you with a bit of help.

Have a look here for NR2003 track tutorials:

http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=114

This one explains pit entrance and exit.

http://www.thepits.us/files/tutorials/thepits_n2003_track_ini1.pdf

This one explains pit stalls.

http://www.thepits.us/files/tutorials/thepits_n2003_track_ini2.pdf
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline fortine_oo

• Tire Changer
  • Coolness: 1
« Reply #2 on: 08/14/12, 05:10 AM »
Brian Peters

I went to the track and on my version the 10 qualifier (stall_9 = 632.01 -82.36 0.32) gets service, and so does stall_8 & stall_10.

Anyway, you can just eliminate the offending stall, and then rename the rest by picking up the count on the next stall using the number from the stall you eliminated, i.e. stall_10 now becomes stall_9, stall_11 now becomes stall_10, etc.

More pit info:  Pitroad, Pitstalls, and Pit lp's HOW TO @NRTracks

Offline Brian Peters

• Veteran Driver
« Reply #3 on: 08/15/12, 12:53 AM »
Thanks guys.

I am not 100% certain that it was the 10th qualifier, I think it was was probably 4 months ago so my memory could be fuzzy on that, before I did any editing I would go back to the replay and find the driver that could not get service and verify his pit stall and then I would test that pit stall myself.

We just ran Baer Field last night and I noticed that the guy who edited that for us left a note that the original track.ini file was left intact and named with ORG in it's name, so I can compare the two INI's.

I will be glad to get that problem resolved, it's not every day you stumble upon a track that just seems to fit the drivers so well as this one did, our race there ranks I would say in the top 5 for all around racing fun and excitement.

I always like to try tracks that can be run side by side, but many are narrow and sometimes it actually makes things worse when you just can't finish a pass, but this track is wide and just slick enough that somebody is going to have to lift eventually and it could just as easily be the inside car as it could be the outside car, and the brave soul could even try making it three wide if the two in front of him were stuck side by side too long, and that's a real game changer =)

Can't wait to race this track again, thanks for help guys, I will let you know what I get figured out.

Offline fortine_oo

• Tire Changer
  • Coolness: 1
« Reply #4 on: 08/15/12, 01:18 PM »
Thanks guys.

I am not 100% certain that it was the 10th qualifier... my memory could be fuzzy on that...
:021:

Could be this, then.
re: stall_21
If you hit your pitbox marks you'll be too far left, left side on pitroad, and unless you move the pitcrew won't go any further. If you just get your left side tires on the pitstall subsurface, you'll get regular service. If you get farther to the right, the pitcrew won't change right side tires. As long as the car is on the pitstall subsurface, fuel will be added.
When an ai uses this pitstall, they get service immediately if they happen to drive in to the right. When they come in on the prescribed mark, they sit there for 30 seconds and then they get regular service. 

This will put the pitbox completely on the pitstall subsurface. The pitbox is halfway into the armco, but you don't really notice it.
[ pit_lane_0 ]
stall_21 = 565.00 -68.47 -0.30   ;-67.57 original

Offline Brian Peters

• Veteran Driver
« Reply #5 on: 08/25/12, 08:55 PM »
Well I did verify that it was the 10th qualifier that was the driver who said he had problems, but in the replay the first time he pitted he got service, then the next two times I watched him go in and he was too far to the left, I was under the impression that he was never able to get service at all.

It's always tough on the tracks with the wall on the right side, so while drivers need to pay attention to make sure they line up correctly, the track is still usable and will be back on our schedule.

Thanks all for your input  :13: