Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/19/19, 10:25 AM

Author Topic: Got to meet Big Al Unser today  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Steve Wright

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 10
Re: Got to meet Big Al Unser today
« Reply #10 on: 08/21/12, 09:33 PM »
Wow Chandley I know what you mean.  I got a chance to travel and race with Sammy Sessions back in the 70's on Snowmobiles and become a team mate with him and then we lost him while racing with him at Alexandria Minnesota during a Sno Pro race on December 17th 1977.  We used to talk about all the USAC Sprint car racing he did and the Indy 500 races he ran.  I used to go and watch him race in all of his Supermodified races.  Also when I was a kid I used to watch him race against Mario Andretti and AJ Foyt and Al and Bobby Unser on ABC Wide World of Sports on Saturdays in Sprint Car races from Kokamo Indiana and never realized that I would someday be traveling with him and working on his sleds.  So I know what you mean to have met Al Unser and get a chance to talk to him.  I used to get a chance to talk to Gordy Johncock allot also as he used to live in Hastings Michigan not far from my home and come into our pits and spend time with us back in our Mini Champ days. 

Offline Chadley

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 26
    • Dakotagraph
« Reply #11 on: 08/22/12, 06:46 AM »
Hey that's cool that you brought up Gordy. I've never met him, but my parents are from that part of Michigan and knew him some in his dirt track days. Apparently they were good friends with one of his mechanics. So we always pulled for Gordy during the 500.

Where are you at in Michigan? I was born in Charlotte, but moved to South Dakota when I was 5. You probably are in the area where Scott Brayton was a local too, right? I met Scotty about the time he was at the height of his career, which we all know was much too short.

Offline skot71

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 74
« Reply #12 on: 10/17/12, 08:37 AM »
Slammin' Sammy Sessions!!  Saw him race at Winchester and have been to the Memorial race they have for him there a few times.  Great driver.