Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/08/19, 02:31 PM

Author Topic: Finally! Time For Some Fun at "The Park"... RIVERSIDE PARK!  (Read 8652 times)

Offline J.R.Franklin

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 23
After over 4 years of tinkering, tweaking and fussing over, at long last here is Historic Riverside Park Speedway for NR2003! 

Located on the banks of the Connecticut River inside of the Riverside Amusement Park in western Massachusetts, Riverside Park Speedway was perhaps one of the most wildly popular and successful speedways in the entire country.  Every Saturday night up to 6000 fans would jam into the stadium of this tight little 1/4 mile oval to cheer on their heroes of the Northeast's premier racing division, the Modifieds.  All of the top-named drivers including Wild Bill Greco, Richie Evans, Reggie Ruggiero and a host of others raced there.  The track also featured thrilling T-Bone action of Figure 8 racing, Demolition Derbys, Late Models, Prostocks and other support divisions.

Riverside Park Speedway packed 'em in for 50 years until in 1999 when the amusement park was sold and re-branded "Six Flags: New England.  The track was closed down to make way for more amusement rides and it was indeed a sad day for New England racing fans that absolutely cherished this speedway. 

This project is has been a labor of love for me and was done with a nod towards all of the loyal fans who frequented "The Park".  We poured as much detail into this track as was absolutely possible within the limits of NR2003.  Former patrons of Riverside Park will see many of their old favorite rides in full animated glory...  The "Colossus" Giant Ferris Wheel... The terrifying Tower Drop Ride... The dizzying "Centrifuge" ride... and of course the classic wooden "Thunderbolt Rollercoaster"!

This recreation of Riverside Park features infield pitting for 23 cars just like it was set up when the major touring series like the Whelen Modified Tour and the NASCAR Busch Grandnational North Series visited The Park.  It is an attempt to closely resemble the track as it appeared at times during it's 1990's "heydays".

Making 1/4 mile ovals for NR2003 with working A.I. can be a very challenging undertaking.  Especially for a sim that was originally only designed for tracks of 1/2 mile and up.  There are several who helped me bring this dream to fruition:  Bowtie Anderson, Ian Smythe, Carl "Riviera71" Sundberg and others.  Please be sure to read about all of their contributions in the CREDITS README file provided with the track.  There are also some very important notes in there about how to get the best results when racing on the track in NR2003.

GET THE TRACK BY CLICKING:  HERE

So enjoy the tight short track racing.  I sure hope you have as much fun racing on it as all of us have in working to bring it to you.

J.R. Franklin
www.NR2k3Tracks.com

Offline g-man24

• Jackman
  • Coolness: 0
Thank you very much!  I can't get enough of these well done short tracks!
"Looks like daddy's gonna have to get his wallet out"-Andy Petree to Rusty Wallace

Offline g-man24

• Jackman
  • Coolness: 0
Just downloaded this and ran a 50 lap late model race. WOW!  Fantastic!  Once again, thank you very much.   :You_Rock_Emoticon:
"Looks like daddy's gonna have to get his wallet out"-Andy Petree to Rusty Wallace

Offline NeoDart28

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 15
  • ANIME RACING
    • Racin Grafix
YES! :-\ I long time ago first-time fun! now thank you!!!!!!! Riverside Park Speedway!!!!!!!

Offline Chadley

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 26
    • Dakotagraph
This looks very cool. I'm away from my computer this weekend, but will be downloading soon. I love the tracks with lots of detail.  :13:

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 183
  • I'm All Jacked Up On Mountain Dew!
    • Roberts Web Design
Thanks so much for your work on this JR. I really appreciate that you guys are still putting stuff out for the nr2003 community. Might have to knock the dust off the ol' TSW for this one.
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline Brian Peters

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 11
 :13:

Great job, tons of fun!

Offline J.R.Franklin

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 23
I'd just like to say thank you all so very much for the very nice words.  It's positive feedback like this that makes all of the hard (and sometimes frustrating) work to get these little tracks to work in Nr2003 all worth it.  You guys keep downloading 'em and having fun and we'll keep on building 'em.     :13:

Offline Brian Peters

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 11
I generally like tracks with less grip but with a tiny track like this I think you need to have the grip level you have in order to race it, and it feels good, some tracks with high grip feel unrealistic to me, but this track it seems perfect for racing it in this sim.

You can spin out easy enough but there is enough grip to do a lot of hard bumping.

It's nice when you are running off the corner low and hard trying to make a pass and push up into the car on the outside and you are only up to the back of his door, you don't spin both of you out, you both get a little sideways but if you react correctly it barely even slows you down.

I ran a 40 lap race with 11 AI cars set to run 12.2's with me starting at the back, I made it up to 2nd place but had nothing left for the leader over the last 5 laps.

It's one of the few tracks I feel like I can just get as aggressive as I want and still be able to handle it, that 40 lapper I ran with YELLOWS ON and we didn't need them, 40 laps green with me and 11 AI running that kind of pace and I don't know about AI, but I had a little bit of everyone's paint on my car at the end :steeringwheel:

I have been working on my next 10 race schedule at Bear Bait Racing and have looked at well over 100 different short tracks in the last week and this one just really looks good to me, and I have never been to or seen pictures of the real track, I swear I could smell burning rubber and racing fuel when I pulled out of the pits the first time  :victory:

Offline NeoDart28

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 15
  • ANIME RACING
    • Racin Grafix
hey idea u can add night?