Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/19/19, 01:45 PM

Author Topic: Dirt 55 Mod Now Available from DMR  (Read 11467 times)

Offline Dave76

• Carset Painter
  • Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 23
Re: Dirt 55 Mod Now Available from DMR
« Reply #10 on: 12/17/11, 10:26 PM »
I was disapointed in this mod. i thought It would be a full 1955 mod. I'd like to race cars like these too ....
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/nascar-8-470-0209-78948254.jpg
http://www.floridastockcars.com/gallery3/d/10226-1/Junior+Johnson+-+1955.jpg
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/images/3023-1955.jpg
http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f115/10609d1181336303-fireball-roberts-1955-buick-century-m-430468-fireballroberts.jpg

It would be a lot more fun with the near bone-stock Carl Kiekhafer Chrysler 300s, Oldsmobile Rocket 88s, Buicks, and even Hudsons!
« Last Edit: 12/18/11, 11:30 AM by Robert Vining »

Offline Brian Peters

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 11
« Reply #11 on: 12/18/11, 02:28 AM »
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the way I understand it, you can have 4 models in a series, which means that somebody had to pick 4 cars from that era to replicate, and I would imagine there are a lot of considerations that go into which cars get chosen to be modeled in the series created.

One of those considerations surely would be which cars were the favorite cars of the talented people that created the Dirt55 mod, other considerations I am guessing would be how well a particular car would translate to an in-game model considering the initial state of the car, and each level of damage modeled.

I am no expert but in my humble opinion the Dirt 55 mod is a quality mod, you can see the work put into it, and I for one love it and appreciate the hard work that went into creating it.

You don't sound like you understand at all what goes into creating one of these mods, it takes a whole lot more than just one or two guys downing a case of Red Bull over the weekend.

Do yourself a favor and research what it takes to create one of these mods, when you are done with your research I think you will want to rephrase your original post to omit the part where you say you are disappointed in this mod, I can guarantee you got 1000X your money's worth when you purchased this add-on content.

Offline Sage

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 58
    • Acme Signs
« Reply #12 on: 12/18/11, 02:51 AM »
If you're really disappointed in what you got for free because it doesn't have the cars you want, take some of Brian's advice and learn to make a mod that has what you want in it. Only way to not be disappointed as far as I can tell. Until then. it's real easy to just delete the Dirt 55 mod so you won't be bothered with the disappointment.
I went outside once. The graphics weren't all that great.
I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!
If you can't spill it, it ain't 'paint'!

Offline Wes

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 6
« Reply #13 on: 12/18/11, 03:01 AM »
I agree with what Sage and Brian said. You can't be disappointed with free. It's an awesome mod and they should get credit for it. If you don't like the mod maybe just learn to model. Im actually starting to learn a little bit about it. It's alot harder than I expected it to be...so maybe do some research on what goes on in the process of making a mod...then u won't be disappointed with it.
Wes

Offline Smoke

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 4
  • Tiny Toad's Arch Nemesis!
« Reply #14 on: 12/18/11, 06:18 AM »
Well I dont agree. He is entitled to his opinion. He did not slam any work put into it.  The title says it all. If your making a 55 model mod it needs to represent just that. Now in saying that I'm in no way putting down any of the time and work it took to make the mod at all. They spent years off and on on this thing. But I'm like him I was dissapointed in the car makes selected also. But hey its theirs so as long as they are happy with it in the end thats all that matters. I liked the version that had the Ranchero in it. I suppose I like this model because when I was younger I had a falcon ranchero...... Man I loved that thing even tho it was a ford. LOL It had the 6 banger taken out and a 289 put in with a 3 speed in the floor. I put ET slots all the way around  g-50's on the back and 60's on the front, chrome side pipes 10 inch shackles and 150 lb gabriel hi-jackers on it. Looked like a roller skate coming down the road..... Now thats my opinion and none of you are gunna change it.....  nothing that Denis does is half assed. He has become very effective in mod making. Sometimes he just listens to the wrong folks (at one point myself included) and that hurts him at times. But anyway back on topic. The ranchero below....   :)

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 182
  • I'm All Jacked Up On Mountain Dew!
    • Roberts Web Design
« Reply #15 on: 12/18/11, 03:47 PM »
I just wrote a post about this on google+ this morning... except the topic was free software. Oh wait, the topic here is free software as well.

The other's suggestions are accurate... if you don't like it, mod your own. But don't complain about free shit.
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline Smoke

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 4
  • Tiny Toad's Arch Nemesis!
« Reply #16 on: 12/18/11, 05:01 PM »
LOL humerous at best.

Offline Dave76

• Carset Painter
  • Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 23
« Reply #17 on: 12/18/11, 10:20 PM »
Well I dont agree. He is entitled to his opinion. He did not slam any work put into it.  The title says it all. If your making a 55 model mod it needs to represent just that. Now in saying that I'm in no way putting down any of the time and work it took to make the mod at all. They spent years off and on on this thing. But I'm like him I was dissapointed in the car makes selected also. But hey its theirs so as long as they are happy with it in the end thats all that matters.

Exactly. Settle down guys, I wasn't saying anything bad about the mod at all! I just expected something different. You all did great work, its a quality mod! Its just not the mod I thought you were making. I thought you were doing one representative of the 1955 Nascar Grand National season. I was saying that racing a bunch of huge chrome bumpered cars like they were running in the 1955 season would be both hilarious and a lot of fun at the same time. Can you imagine it? I thought thats where you were going to go with this mod when I heard about its development. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Sage

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 58
    • Acme Signs
« Reply #18 on: 12/19/11, 02:26 AM »
The Dirt55 mod was never intended to be a 'nostalgic' mod. It was made to be throwback bodies with modern chassis & drive-train underpinnings, as Denis explained before it was ever released. Had you known this it would have avoided your 'disappointment'. Me personally...I'm never disappointed with anything that comes out of DMR.

Directly from the DMR site:
'The Dirt55 mod is not a historic mod of the years 1950, but more a Vintage Stock car /  Nostalgia stock car series with 1980/2010 technology !!!! '
More info -> Here <-.

Now that 'other' '55 mod (I believe it's working title is 55s) he has in the pipe... well, I think that that one has throwback-looking engines in it (but I could be wrong on that). And, I hope, Station Wagon & Sedan Delivery bodies.
I went outside once. The graphics weren't all that great.
I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!
If you can't spill it, it ain't 'paint'!

Offline Brian Peters

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 11
« Reply #19 on: 12/19/11, 04:54 AM »
Absolutely everyone is entitled to their opinion and I agree that the opinion was not specifically derogatory.

I understand what a labor of love it is to create something like this and to work so hard on something and give it freely to the community, so I cringed a little when he said he was disappointed in the mod.

Being the consumers that we are we don't hesitate to give our opinion on products, but people should take the time to understand a product like this that they receive for free, they should understand where it came from, why it exists, and how it came to be in their possession.

I have always felt that with a situation like this, where one or more people use their talents and passion to give something to the rest of the community for our enjoyment, for free, that unless those that created it asked me for specific critique, I would avoid saying anything even slightly negative about their creations.

First reason out of respect for the time and effort they put into something I could not dream of doing myself, and the second reason is that I would not want to give anything but encouragement because I don't want them to quit making these awesome things.

My advice is instead of saying "I'm disappointed in this because of...", you could make a post with those same pictures and say "Man this Dirt 55 mod rocks! The only thing that could possibly make this awesome mod even better is if it had my favorite cars from that era, here are some pics, is there a D55 v2 in the works?  hint hint ;)".