Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/19/19, 03:45 PM

Author Topic: (SPOILER) Daytona - Thoughts on the 2 car draft?  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Ben6656

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 2
  • ♫♪♫♪
Re: Poll on the 2 car draft
« Reply #10 on: 02/20/11, 04:54 PM »
Who would ever know that the Wood Brothers would be back in victory lane...looks like Bayne is getting a full time ride this year!
Why, yes, I would mess around with a quote as my signature!

Offline srm4hvk29

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 10
  • Go Harvick!
« Reply #11 on: 02/20/11, 05:46 PM »
That was awesome! The people who didn't watch because of the changes really missed out.

I would prefer the old style back, mainly because this 2 car draft takes out a lot of cars. Every single driver i started rooting for ended up wrecked shortly after. But there is no way that was a boring race.
Rev. Stephen Musclow
Graphics Engineer

Offline Mike Lester

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 4
« Reply #12 on: 02/20/11, 06:13 PM »
Me either..I am not watching the race.......playing hot wheels with my son. lol

you missed out on ALOT! Congrats to trever bayne!
What are you reading this for? Get back to your life, you're wasting your time.

Offline lifeinflames93

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 2
« Reply #13 on: 02/20/11, 08:57 PM »
Holy crap, that's one that'll go down in history. Congrats to Trevor Bayne. 

1. Youngest 500 winner ever
2. First ever (unless you count Lee Petty) to win the 500 first try
3. Wood Brothers back in victory lane, and at the 500, in a retro Pearson scheme
4. Record number of lead changes & cautions
5. The points leader after the first race ISN'T the Daytona 500 winner
6. David Gilliland finished 3rd and is 2nd in points
7. Robby Gordon didn't crash untill after the scheduled distance.

One for the record books, yet somehow felt like it was lacking something.

Offline DawsonvilleBill9

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 314
  • Just get 'er done!
« Reply #14 on: 02/20/11, 09:00 PM »
Surprised the hell out of me it was actually a race...albeit a wreck fest they ran the wheels off of 'em today! Congrats to the kid and the Wood Bros. God Bless Leonard and Glenn Wood!

Offline Bobby17

• Jackman
  • Coolness: 0
Re: (SPOILER) Daytona - Thoughts on the 2 car draft?
« Reply #15 on: 02/21/11, 11:05 AM »
It was a descent race but what you guys are all forgetting is this type of racing goes against the basis of racing. In all forms of racing you do what is best for you NOT whats best for you & whoever happens to be helping you. It just makes every bodies job harder from the driver to the spotter to the crew chief. I remember hearing one crew chief who couldn't figure out which radio frequency his driver was on ( I don't remember which one though). I applaud the Gibbs cars for not giving out their radio frequencies, I wouldn't want anyone else on my radio why we are racing no matter the reason. I spot for a super late model in Ohio and I've been known to go off on someone if they have the same frequency And wont be quiet while we're racing. Just my opinion though. Trying to give you guys the thoughts of someone whose spotted, crew chiefed & plans on racing himself in a few years, but from solely a fans point of view  the race was actually more  exciting than normal.

Offline srm4hvk29

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 10
  • Go Harvick!
« Reply #16 on: 02/21/11, 12:16 PM »
The thing is, Daytona needed repaved, especially after the pot hole issue. Didn't NASCAR make changes to the plates and engine temps after the Bud shootout? The wrong changes obviously, but i've heard many people trash NASCAR all week about ruining the racing. What exactly more could they have done? I think it's just going to take time for NASCAR to find a way to counter the 2 car draft.
Rev. Stephen Musclow
Graphics Engineer

Offline Bobby17

• Jackman
  • Coolness: 0
« Reply #17 on: 02/21/11, 06:06 PM »
The pavement contributed to the problem, but this 2 car draft thing has been coming for nearly 2 years since they implemented the car of tomorrow. Now I think the car of tomorrow has been a good thing for safety, but the fact that the bumpers mate up so well has essentially caused this 2 car draft 2 be possible. Look at the truck race for example the 2 car draft wasn't utilized as much due 2 the fact it was far more difficult. However the problem in that race was that drivers could not pass on the outside like before in the conventional way. The only thing that could be done about that is to use a tire in the future that will fall off a lot quicker, since grip on the new pavement is so high. That may not even work, but it'd be worth a try.

Offline BNS Racing

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 11
« Reply #18 on: 02/21/11, 07:07 PM »
Surprised the hell out of me it was actually a race...albeit a wreck fest they ran the wheels off of 'em today! Congrats to the kid and the Wood Bros. God Bless Leonard and Glenn Wood!

Amen Brother!!

Offline r15fan

• Jackman
  • Coolness: -1
  • Racing for Championhips
« Reply #19 on: 02/23/11, 01:29 PM »

7. Robby Gordon didn't crash untill after the scheduled distance.

That's a great line...he did make an impressive save to ensure that this was true, even though the process of the save was involved in wrecking almost half the field...