Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/26/19, 02:41 AM

Author Topic: (SPOILER) Daytona - Thoughts on the 2 car draft?  (Read 4760 times)

Offline lifeinflames93

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 2
After everything we've seen, and with the 500 tomorrow, I'm curious what you all think of this 2 car draft, and what do you think you'd like to see differantly by the next plate race?

Admin Edit: Changed title to show spoiler, as the 500 winner is shown in a comment below. carry on.
« Last Edit: 02/21/11, 12:03 AM by Robert Vining »

Offline DawsonvilleBill9

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 314
  • Just get 'er done!
Re: Poll on the 2 car draft
« Reply #1 on: 02/19/11, 04:02 PM »
I don't like it at all! Can't really say anymore than that!

Offline BNS Racing

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 11
« Reply #2 on: 02/19/11, 05:06 PM »

I AGREE!!  LIKE WATCHING TRAFFIC ON THE FREEWAY.... 

Offline srm4hvk29

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 10
  • Go Harvick!
« Reply #3 on: 02/19/11, 05:44 PM »
And 20-car packs isn't? For years, they cruise all day and wait until 30 to go to race. One driver messes up and takes out 10+ cars.

How this way is more boring, I don't get. Yeah, it's different, but not unwatchable. I hope there is a middle ground tomorrow, but i'm watching either way.
Rev. Stephen Musclow
Graphics Engineer

Offline lifeinflames93

• Crew Chief
« Reply #4 on: 02/19/11, 06:23 PM »
I guess I'll give in my 2 cents. Personally I hate it.  The Nationwide race today was horrid. That wasn't Daytona. Richard Petty even spoke up about it.

Shortly after Thursday's first Duel, Petty was asked innocuously what he thought of all the two-car drafting that made up the 500 qualifying race. Petty replied tersely that he couldn't stand it and that he was "ashamed to be a part of it."

Petty didn't go into great detail about why he was so upset with it. He said only, "I wasn't upset with our car. I was upset with the whole thing. Did you watch the race?"
And he wasn't alone. Fellow car owner and former crew chief Frank Stoddard didn't like it at all, either.

"You want the truth?" Stoddard said. "I've been coming here since 1985, and those were the worst two 150-mile qualifying races I've ever watched down here."

Pressed on why he felt so strongly that way, Stoddard added: "I just don't think it's racing. It's not even that. Guys are switching positions out there on the pace laps to get with who they want to get with and stuff. You've got multi-car teams [whose drivers] are talking on the radio to one another. I mean, you've got three or four guys talking to each other; they're not even talking to their spotters. That's just not what I was raised to go and do. I just think it's a ridiculous form of racing."

There was more to this article on Nascar.com on the guys involved that like it

Rocket45

« Reply #5 on: 02/19/11, 08:23 PM »
We'll the truck race last night was awsome!! I like Daytona, because you can go from 35th to 1st in a half lap. I just think it gives everybody a chance to win. But thats just me.
 :victory:

Offline Ben6656

• Veteran Driver
  • ♫♪♫♪
« Reply #6 on: 02/19/11, 08:36 PM »
And 20-car packs isn't? For years, they cruise all day and wait until 30 to go to race. One driver messes up and takes out 10+ cars.

How this way is more boring, I don't get. Yeah, it's different, but not unwatchable. I hope there is a middle ground tomorrow, but i'm watching either way.

I 'kind of' agree with that. I am at Daytona for the Nationwide and Truck races, they both were pretty good. The advantage of the double car draft, much more exciting finishes. I thought that Bowyer won the NWS race, but Smoke just beat him by inches! These finishes are coming down to the wire, which is exciting! When was the last time we had a photo finish that close at Daytona? The boring part is that the drivers can pull a whole superstretch of a lead, and nearly lap the whole field. Good thing that caution came out mid-way through, the leaders almost had a 20 second lead from the pack!
Why, yes, I would mess around with a quote as my signature!

Offline Mike Lester

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 4
« Reply #7 on: 02/20/11, 09:57 AM »
I used to hate it, but i really dont mind it much now. but did you hear the annoncers at the finish yesterday? "BOWYER! STEWART! BOWYER! I THINK BOWYER WON! NO, IT WAS STEWART!" ..... Nice job ESPN.
What are you reading this for? Get back to your life, you're wasting your time.

Offline ongias25

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 27
« Reply #8 on: 02/20/11, 03:28 PM »
Me either..I am not watching the race.......playing hot wheels with my son. lol

Rocket45

« Reply #9 on: 02/20/11, 04:35 PM »
That was just awsome!!! Got to give it to Bayne and The Wood Brothers! :-\