Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
04/08/20, 11:21 PM

Author Topic: State of NASCAR  (Read 13818 times)

Offline srm4hvk29

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 10
  • Go Harvick!
Re: State of NASCAR
« Reply #20 on: 07/06/10, 11:42 PM »
So many people hate Pocono and don't have much love for the D oval either, myself included. Yet they are the tracks that get 2nd dates. Track owner's greed controls the schedule, they make it clear its about money over the traditional fans. Instead of choosing more exciting venues, they add double file restarts and debris cautions to ensure pileups at the end of every race.
Rev. Stephen Musclow
Graphics Engineer

Offline Brian Peters

• Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 11
« Reply #21 on: 07/07/10, 12:24 AM »
Since it's about who can run the fastest for 30 laps why don't they run a bunch of 30-50 lap heat races and a 70 lap main event, that way they can fill out the day for the spectators, and give more drivers a chance at crossing the finish line first making even more fans happy that their driver won a heat even if they don't win the main.

The rules should be 3-wide standing starts, no cautions, and you can only progress to the next heat if you have some form of body damage to your car, at least a donut, preferably sheet metal draggin the ground, bonus points if you cross the finish line backwards, upside-down, or on fire, with automatic Main Heat Trophy if you cross the finish line upside down, backwards, AND on fire!

I kid of course, I am not a die-hard race fan, I don't watch all the time, in fact I have not watched many races after Sr. died, around those years it seems a lot of ol' timers were retiring, and after Sr.'s death it just didn't seem the same to me, now I watch and it's like I'm watching something else instead of Winston Cup... wait a minute...  it's NOT Winston Cup, no wonder I don't know any of the cars on the track or understand the rules.  ;)

To me Winston Cup was old school racing that perpetuated an American culture that most twenty-somethings would not understand, I thought it was criminal to call the series anything other than Winston Cup, then again I'm glad what we see today is NOT called Winston Cup.

Offline lifeinflames93

• Crew Chief
  • Coolness: 2
« Reply #22 on: 07/08/10, 09:04 PM »
I got a few things I think might be kinda interesting for this topic.

I heard that Nascar is contemplating the idea of making a rotation of the tracks in the chase. I got a wild idea. Daytona has the first and halfway events and is the Indainapolis of Nascar. They should end the season in either Charlotte or Daytona. Here's what'd I do for a schedule and I'm curious to see what you'd all do.

Talladega, Darlington, Rockingham, Mexico City (how's that for a twist?), Phoenix, Bristol, Homestead, Richmond, Charlotte, Daytona.   

I also hard Carl Edwards who was doing something for press talk about the changes to Nationwide coming. Carl had a neat idea for the series. He said Cup drives can run full time in the Nationwide series, BUT all cup regulars get HALF the practice and qualify for pit picks not position. All cup regulars start at the back no matter what.

Offline nascarfreak88

• Crew Chief
« Reply #23 on: 07/09/10, 04:22 PM »
NASCAR needs to get rid of ESPN. Dale Jarrett is a good DRIVER, Andy Petree is a good CREW CHIEF, Jerry Punch is a good DOCTOR. None are good COMMENTATORS.

I believe it was back at the Nationwide race in Talladega in April where David Ragan won and right after he crossed the line, he says, "and Joey Logano finishes 3rd." That's no surprise. Joey finishes well every week. He should be talking about Tony Raines who finished 4th in a Bob Jenkins car.

They should go back to FOX, TNT, and NBC.
I also hard Carl Edwards who was doing something for press talk about the changes to Nationwide coming. Carl had a neat idea for the series. He said Cup drives can run full time in the Nationwide series, BUT all cup regulars get HALF the practice and qualify for pit picks not position. All cup regulars start at the back no matter what.

That would be a good idea. It sucks to see Kyle Busch, Joey Logano and BK dominate the whole race. I'd tweak on that regulars in the back thing. I think they should do that AND be the go-or-go-homers in the Nationwide series.
« Last Edit: 07/09/10, 04:33 PM by nascarfreak88 »

Offline Robert Vining

• Administrator
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 183
  • I'm All Jacked Up On Mountain Dew!
    • Roberts Web Design
« Reply #24 on: 07/09/10, 04:28 PM »
PLEASE no more TNT or NBC coverage... I'd rather hear the ESPN broadcasters before TNT broadcasters. Wally Dallenbach couldn't drive, and sure as hell can't talk about it either.
Robert Vining, Owner
Racin Grafix
Roberts Web Design

Offline nascarfreak88

• Crew Chief
« Reply #25 on: 07/09/10, 04:46 PM »
PLEASE no more TNT or NBC coverage... I'd rather hear the ESPN broadcasters before TNT broadcasters. Wally Dallenbach couldn't drive, and sure as hell can't talk about it either.

I just like the fact that TNT broadcasters are actually excited when things happen while ESPN is a snorefest. But you're right. I don't like Wally much. Why Hendrick hired him I'll never know (But everyone who drove in a #25/88 sucked in that car). Bill Weber was a snooty, memory lost asshole who would mistake the winner or track they're racing on (Richmond 06, Martinsville 01). BP was great. I like Kyle and Adam this year. Ralph Sheheen was decent in his brief stint last year.

Good move by ESPN at Daytona for getting Alan Bestwick to be the lap-by-lap announcer. He actually made the commentating good at the finish.

What's Weber doing now anyway? And happy early birthdays to BP and Hendrick. Totally unrelated, but those two and I share a birthday. ;)

Offline Chadley

• Racin Grafix Painter
  • Veteran Driver
  • Coolness: 26
    • Dakotagraph
« Reply #26 on: 07/09/10, 04:56 PM »
I wouldn't care if I never hear or see Bill Weber again. Never liked him, so was glad when he disappeared.

I've always liked Kyle Petty, but he sure has trouble tripping over words sometimes. It's like I want to slap him on the back so he can finally get out what he's trying to say. Still like him though.

I like Adam and Alan Bestwick. Do really miss Benny and Ned.

Offline lifeinflames93

• Crew Chief
« Reply #27 on: 07/09/10, 05:14 PM »
I've actually timed it out. TNT is exactly every race but Daytona 6 minutes of racing and 3 minutes of comercials, and they stay on the schedule even under caution.

Malachi Hamilton69

« Reply #28 on: 07/09/10, 05:31 PM »
One thing wish NASCAR would do is to do like the indy cars and during commercials, make half the screen the race and the other half the commercial. That way if there was a crash or a big lead change we could see it, instead of having to imagine it when they explained it

Offline lifeinflames93

• Crew Chief
« Reply #29 on: 07/09/10, 09:15 PM »
ESPN was going to do that and Nascar said no to ESPN yet they can to the "Wide Open Coverage" for TNT which basically is side by side for indy. I remember that was a big arguement between fans and Nascar. At this point I'd like to see it on the channels it's on then do it like they do at the track and have like HBO or someone do pay per view races with no comercials and the radio broadcast overtop like your at the track.